The joint cooperation of governing institutions with private enterprise has been a part of our country’s economic engine from the Erie Canal, to the building the railroads and even the Houston Ship Channel. But to rely on tax abatements from local school districts to achieve such economic development is completely counterproductive to the very reason to have the economic development in the first place.
Chapter 313 is up from renewal in 2021 in this 87th Legislative Session. If no action is taken, it will simply expire. Contact your Texas Representative and Senator
Texas House of Representatives : Find My Representative
Tell them to let Chapter 313 of the Texas Property Tax Code Expire. Do NOT renew Chapter 313.
If it is deemed that Texas State Government should play such a prominent role in Economic Development let it be through one plan. The Single Texas Economic Development Plan STEP.
Benefits of a Single Texas Economic Development Plan (STEP) –
- Reinforces County Commissioner’s and City Council’s role in regional economic development – transfers this from school boards to county commissioners and city councils elected to originate economic development.
- Provides a single property appraisal – for both M&O value and I&S value.
- Allows companies to keep the full tax savings – by eliminating Payment in Lieu of Taxes (PiLoTs). These payments seem to have no oversight from the Texas Comptroller and even lack specific accountability to the local school board.
- Restore the full M&O valuation – so ALL school districts can contribute fully to the state’s recapture payments (aka Robin Hood).
- Single Texas Economic Development Plan (STEP) – One stateside economic development plan for the Texas Comptroller to administer.
- Simplify School Finance Formulas – School funding formulas are complex enough, removing economic development funding formulas would alleviate one aspect.
- Insure equitable utilization – the Texas Treasury’s contribution to one region’s economic development will truly deliver economic prosperity throughout the state.
- Increase transparency – include changes made to Chapter 312 for increased transparency as addressed by the 2019 86th Texas Legislature renewal process.
- Insure lifelong members of the district share – having true property values taxed appropriately contributes to lowering the property tax rate throughout the district.
Share your comments of suggestions at Chapter313ISD@gmail.com
dublajJanuary 31, 2021 at 6:18 AM
Awesome read. I just passed this onto a colleague who was doing some research on that. He actually bought me lunch because I found it for him! Thus let me rephrase: Thanks for lunch! Esme Lorrie Kruse
canli tvJanuary 31, 2021 at 7:31 PM
Thanks for posting such an informative blog, keep sharing such blogs. Will definitely share with friends. Meggi Duky Stutzman
watchFebruary 1, 2021 at 8:43 AM
I could not refrain from commenting. Exceptionally well written! Allianora Orson Reiter
direkFebruary 1, 2021 at 4:24 PM
A lot of thanks for your whole labor on this blog. Kate takes pleasure in participating in investigations and it is simple to grasp why. A lot of people notice all regarding the dynamic way you produce invaluable guidelines through this web blog and in addition encourage response from the others on this concern plus our favorite daughter is certainly becoming educated a great deal. Have fun with the remaining portion of the year. Your doing a fantastic job. Audra Roley Vig
netflixFebruary 6, 2021 at 11:41 AM
Thanks so much for the blog post. Thanks Again. Great. Molli Ignace McRoberts
123moviesFebruary 6, 2021 at 1:54 PM
I like it when people get together and share ideas. Great website, stick with it! Tommie Hazlett Publus